Trump and International Security
- Trump and International Security
by Richard Kemp, https://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/
* It is the EU, not Donald Trump, that threatens to undermine NATO and the security of the West. An EU defence union will present a direct threat to NATO, competing for funds, building in duplication and confusion, and setting up rival military structures.
* “You can’t say the past doesn’t matter, the values we share don’t matter, but instead try to get as much money out of NATO as possible and whether I can get a good deal out of it.” — German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen.
* This is breath-taking hypocrisy from the defence minister of Germany, which spends less than 1.2% of GDP on defence against an agreed NATO minimumtarget of 2%, while freeloading off the America’s 73% contribution to NATO’s overall defence spending.
* European leaders would do well to recognize that they need the US more than the US needs them, and that real, concrete, committed defence from the world’s greatest military power is more beneficial to them than a fantasy army that will have plenty of flags, headquarters and generals but no teeth.
* Trump should also prioritize both practical and moral support to anti-Islamist regimes in the Middle East, such as Sisi’s Egypt.
* Rather than spreading fear and false propaganda about Donald Trump, they should be praying that he will provide the strength that is so desperately needed today, and working out how best they can support rather than attack him.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.