Food Prices Could Hit Tipping Point for Global Unrest!
- I have been following the price of Rice on the CME and it is above US$17. It looks like it is heading towards US$21+, the 2008 highs. This does not bode well for Asia. Easy monetary policy (and the coming QE3) will lead to escalation in commodity prices. The food crisis that is coming will be far worse than 2008.
Food Prices Could Hit Tipping Point for Global Unrest
By Brandon Keim, http://www.wired.com/
When food shortages and rising prices drive people to desperation, social unrest soon follows. It’s as true today as it was in 18th-century France. According to a new analysis of food prices and unrest, the 2008 global food riots and ongoing Arab Spring may be a preview of what’s coming.
“When you have food prices peak, you have all these riots. But look under the peaks, at the background trend. That’s increasing quite rapidly, too,” said Yaneer Bar-Yam, president of the New England Complex Systems Institute. “In one to two years, the background trend runs into the place where all hell breaks loose.”
Bar-Yam and his colleagues are hunters of mathematical signals in social data: market trends and economic patterns, ethnic violence, Hollywood movies. In their latest expedition, described Aug. 11 in the prepublication online arXiv, they focus on the 2008 food riots and the Arab Spring, both of which followed year-long surges in basic food prices.
The researchers are hardly the first to portray food problems as a spark that inflames social inequality and stokes individual desperation, unleashing and amplifying impulses of rebellion. The role of food prices in triggering the Arab Spring has been widely described. Their innovation is a pair of price points on the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization’s food price index: about 215 in current prices, or 190 when corrected for inflation.
It’s at those points where, on a graph of food prices and social unrest between 2004 and 2011, unrest breaks out. But whereas they were crossed by price jumps in 2008, Bar-Yam and colleagues calculate that the underlying, steady trend — driven primarily by commodity speculation, agricultural crop-to-fuel conversion and rising prices of fertilizer and oil — crosses those points between 2012 and 2013.
“Once we get there, the peaks aren’t the problem anymore. Instead it’s the trend. And that’s harder to correct,” said Bar-Yam. At that point, widespread political unrest and instability can be expected, even in countries less troubled than those in North Africa and the Middle East.
“When the ability of the political system to provide security for the population breaks down, popular support disappears. Conditions of widespread threat to security are particularly present when food is inaccessible to the population at large,” write Bar-Yam and colleagues in arXiv. “All support for the system and allowance for its failings are lost. The loss of support occurs even if the political system is not directly responsible for the food security failure, as is the case if the primary responsibility lies in the global food supply system.”
The analysis comes with caveats, one of which is the possibility that it’s the dynamics of spiking prices, rather than a particular price level, that unleashes unrest. But according to Bar-Yam, even the underlying trends are rising at an extremely fast pace. “If things change slowly rather than rapidly, there would be a different response,” he said. “If it was going to happen over a period of 10 to 20 years, we’d be talking about something else. But the circumstance we’re talking about is one of changes in a year or two.”
Citation: “The Food Crises and Political Instability in North Africa and the Middle East.” By Marco Lagi, Karla Z. Bertrand and Yaneer Bar-Yam. arXiv, Aug. 11, 2011.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Societal and economics observer and commentator with an endtimes, future history perspective, in a satirical way. Follow me at Twitter: socioecohistory
- Training Drills Expand As DHS Fortifies Ammo Stockpile!
- Stephen Lendman: US Conducting Provocative Exercises Close to Russia!
- Israel-Saudi Arabia Feel a Bit Betrayed as US-Iran Pair Move Forward!
- Countries Around The World Are Now Dumping The Petrodollar!
- Israeli Supreme Court Oks Confiscation of Palestinian Homes in Al-Quds / Jerusalem!
- Russian Cmdr.: NATO Missile Facilities in East Europe Russian Targets!
- Ron Paul: US Congress Seeks to Blow Up Iran Nuclear Deal !
- Israeli Arabs Protest as 25,000 Homes Face Demolition by Israel !
- US Paratroopers Arrive in Ukraine as Fighting Intensifies in Donbass!
- Dow Dumps 400 Points, Gives Up All Post-Payrolls Gains!
- “A Corporate Trojan Horse”: Critics Decry Secretive TPP Trade Deal as a Threat to Democracy!
- TPP (+TTIP): Global Govt Treaty Coming in Days!
- A US-Russia War Over Ukraine?
- HRW: Palestinian Children Pass Out, Vomit, from Farming with Illegal Pesticides on Israeli Settlements!
- IV Vitamin C Therapy: A Cancer Perspective!
- Former Diplomat: We Let Terrorists Into This Country All The Time!
- DHS To Purchase 64 Million AR-15 Rounds!
- US Secretly Imports Refugees Who Could Be ISIS (aka CIA Supported Jihadists)!
- Noam Chomsky: US Has Long History of ‘Information Weaponization,’ Yet Still Criticizes Russia!
- The Debate: Saudi Invasion of Yemen!
9/11 Africa Apartheid Bailout Bankruptcy Bible China CIA Collapse corruption Crime Currency depopulation Devaluation ethnic_cleansing EU Europe Eurozone Fascism FederalReserve Flu_Pandemic France Fraud Gaza genocide Germany Global_Warming Gold GreatDepression Greece Hyper-inflation Illuminati Iran Iraq Israel Japan Libya Martial_Law Meltdown MIC Middle_East MSM NATO Nazi Nephilim New_World_Order nuclear Obama Occult oil Palestine Police_State propaganda Psyop Riots Russia Satan Saudi_Arabia Silver stock_Market Syria Terrorism Treasury Turkey UFO UK Ukraine UN Unemployment Unrest US Vaccine War weather Zionism
- The History of the Illuminati ! The 13 Satanic Bloodlines!
- CERN LHC, Satanic Rituals, Inter-Dimensional Gateway, StarGate/Portals, Mayan 21 Dec 2012 End of Age, Biblical Prophecies, Opening of Bottomless Pit ....
- Current Membership List of The Illuminati "Committee of 300"!
- Jewish Estimate Sees Number of Holocaust Dead Drop To 2.8 Million!
- Iran Enters Hornets Nest: Parks Two Warships Off Yemen Coast Immediately Next To Two US Aircraft Carriers!
- Senator John McCain’s Whoops Moment: Photographed Chilling With ISIS Chief Al-Baghdadi And Terrorist Muahmmad Noor!
- Steve Quayle: Red List, Blue List, Green List Revealed !