US$2T Debt Crisis Threatens To Bring Down 100 US Cities!
- You cannot solve a debt problem with more debts(bailouts). The can has been kicked down the road. But the problem has become larger! It is a matter of when not whether the entire system will collapse! There is a 90% probability that the global economic, financial and monetary meltdown will occur in 2011 IMO!
$2tn debt crisis threatens to bring down 100 US cities
Overdrawn American cities could face financial collapse in 2011, defaulting on hundreds of billions of dollars of borrowings and derailing the US economic recovery. Nor are European cities safe – Florence, Barcelona, Madrid, Venice: all are in trouble
Elena Moya, Guardian
More than 100 American cities could go bust next year as the debt crisis that has taken down banks and countries threatens next to spark a municipal meltdown, a leading analyst has warned. Meredith Whitney, the US research analyst who correctly predicted the global credit crunch, described local and state debt as the biggest problem facing the US economy, and one that could derail its recovery.
“Next to housing this is the single most important issue in the US and certainly the biggest threat to the US economy,” Whitney told the CBS 60 Minutes programme on Sunday night. “There’s not a doubt on my mind that you will see a spate of municipal bond defaults. You can see fifty to a hundred sizeable defaults – more. This will amount to hundreds of billions of dollars’ worth of defaults.”
New Jersey governor Chris Christie summarised the problem succinctly: “We spent too much on everything. We spent money we didn’t have. We borrowed money just crazily. The credit card’s maxed out, and it’s over. We now have to get to the business of climbing out of the hole. We’ve been digging it for a decade or more. We’ve got to climb now, and a climb is harder.”
American cities and states have debts in total of as much as $2tn. In Europe, local and regional government borrowing is expected to reach a historical peak of nearly €1.3tn (£1.1tn) this year.
Cities from Detroit to Madrid are struggling to pay creditors, including providers of basic services such as street cleaning. Last week, Moody’s ratings agency warned about a possible downgrade for the cities of Florence and Barcelona and cut the rating of the Basque country in northern Spain. Lisbon was downgraded by rival agency Standard & Poor’s earlier this year, while the borrowings of Naples and Budapest are on the brink of junk status. Istanbul’s debt has already been downgraded to junk.
Whitney’s intervention is likely to raise the profile of the issue of municipal debt. While she was an analyst at Oppenheimer, the New York investment bank, in October 2007 she wrote a damning report on Citigroup, then the world’s largest bank, predicting it would cut its dividend. She was criticised for being too pessimistic but was vindicated when the bank was forced to seek government support a year later. She has since set up her own advisory firm and is rated one of the most influential women in American business.
US states have spent nearly half a trillion dollars more than they have collected in taxes, and face a $1tn hole in their pension funds, said the CBS programme, apocalyptically titled The Day of Reckoning.
Detroit is cutting police, lighting, road repairs and cleaning services affecting as much as 20% of the population. The city, which has been on the skids for almost two decades with the decline of the US auto industry, does not generate enough wealth to maintain services for its 900,000 inhabitants.
The nearby state of Illinois has spent twice as much money as it has collected and is about six months behind on creditor payments. The University of Illinois alone is owed $400m, the CBS programme said. The state has a 21% chances of default, more than any other, according to CMA Datavision, a derivatives information provider.
California has raised state university tuition fees by 32%. Arizona has sold its state capitol and supreme court buildings to investors, and leases them back. Potential defaults could also hit Florida, whose booming real estate industry burst two years ago, said Guy J. Benstead, a partner at Cedar Ridge Partners in San Francisco. “We are not out of the woods by any stretch yet,” he said.
“It’s all part of the same parcel: public sector indebtedness needs to be cut, it needs a lot of austerity, and it hit the central governments first, and now is hitting local bodies,” said Philip Brown, managing director at Citigroup in London. In Europe, where cities have traditionally relied more on bank loans and state transfers than bonds, financing habits are changing. The Spanish regions of Catalonia and Valencia have issued debt to their own citizens after financial markets shut their doors because of the regions’ high deficits. Moody’s cut to the rating of the Basque country on Friday left it still within investment grade but noted “the rapid deterioration in the region’s budgetary performance in recent years”. It said it expected it to continue over the medium term.
In Italy, Moody’s and S&P have threatened to downgrade Florence, while Venice has been forced over the past few months to put some of the palazzi on its canals up for sale to fund the deficit. “Cities are on their own. Governments won’t come to their rescue as they have problems of their own,” said Andres Rodriguez-Pose, professor of economic geography at the London School of Economics. “Cities will have to pay for their debts, and in some cases they will have to carry out dramatic cuts, such as Detroit’s.”
Vallejo, a former US navy town near San Francisco, is still trying to emerge from the Chapter Nine bankruptcy protection it entered in 2008. The city, now a symbol of distressed local finances, is still negotiating with the unions, which refused to accept a salary cut plan two years ago. Paul Dyson, an analyst with the Standard & Poor’s credit agency, said Vallejo, which is mostly a dormitory town for Oakland or San Francisco employees, did not have enough local industry to sustain its finances and property tax – a major source of local income – plunged with the collapse of the real estate market. The S&P credit-rating agency has a C rating on the town – the lowest level.
With a population of about 120,000, Vallejo has $195m (£125m) of unfunded pension obligations and has to present a bankruptcy-exit plan to a Sacramento court by 18 January. Since 1937, 619 local US government bodies, mostly small utilities or districts, have filed for bankruptcy, Bloomberg News recently reported. US cities tend to default more than European municipalities as they usually rely on bonds issued to investors, which enter into a default if the creditor misses payments. European towns, by contrast, traditionally depend on bank loans and government bailouts.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.
Societal and economics observer and commentator with an endtimes, future history perspective, in a satirical way. Follow me at Twitter: socioecohistory
- SNOW in the SAHARA: World’s Hottest Desert Covered in Metre Thick BLANKET of White. Global Warming is a HOAX!
- SNL Writer Viciously Attacks Barron Trump on Twitter Then Realizes Her Horrible Mistake
- George Soros Has Significant Ties To Women’s March On Washington
- Ex-WSJ Reporter Finds George Soros Has Ties To More Than 50 “Partners” Of The Women’s March
- Time Magazine’s FAKE NEWS! Trump Did NOT Remove Martin Luther King Bust from Oval Office – PROOF
- Madonna Threatens to Bomb the White House – During Women’s March Speech in D.C.
- Trump Hate Fest EXPLODES Across The Globe — They Want Him Dead & This Is How They’ll Attempt It
- Is This The End of TTIP? Trump REMOVES Deal with European Union from White House Website
- CNN Caught Lying Twice In One Day! Nancy Sinatra and Reddit Put The Brakes On #FakeNews
- Reality Check: Is #Pizzagate “Fake News” or Has It Just Not Been Officially Investigated?
- MSNBC: Trump Inaguration Speech “Sounded Like Hitler”
- US PREPARES FOR WAR: Tanks OPEN FIRE Towards Russia as Troops Line Border
- Palestinians Outraged at Demolitions of Homes in Negev by Israel
- Trump And A New Gold-Backed Dollar?
- CNN Talks Trump Assassination
- Donald Trump’s Inaugural Speech May Be His Most Religious Yet
- Trump’s Not Afraid to Put God First
- The Globalists Failed At Destroying The American Dream
- Nobody ‘Stealing’ Your Jobs, You Spend Too Much on Wars – Alibaba Founder to US
- Did The CIA Just Prove Existence Of Aliens?
- Before You Go, Obama: ‘Has Any Other Nobel Peace Prize-Winner Dropped 100K Bombs?’
- Video Shows How Media Hacks ‘Howled’ With Laughter at ‘Clown’ Trump
- Trump vs. the CIA — Paul Craig Roberts
- Google Suggests CNN is Fake News 😂
- What’s Really Behind US Claims of “Russian Hacking?
9/11 Apartheid Asia Bailout Bankruptcy Bible BRICS China CIA Collapse corruption Crime Currency depopulation Devaluation ethnic_cleansing EU Europe Eurozone Fascism FederalReserve France Fraud Gaza genocide Germany Global_Warming Gold GreatDepression Greece Hyper-inflation Illuminati Iran Iraq Israel Japan Libya Martial_Law Meltdown MIC Middle_East MSM NATO Nazi Nephilim New_World_Order nuclear Obama Occult oil Palestine Police_State propaganda Psyop Riots Russia Satan Saudi_Arabia Silver stock_Market Syria Terrorism Treasury Turkey UFO UK Ukraine UN Unemployment Unrest US Vaccine War weather Zionism
- Revelation 12:1-2September 23rd, 20178 months to go.
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- December 2013
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- April 2009
- March 2009
- February 2009
- January 2009
- December 2008
- Flashback 1988: “Get Ready For A World Currency by 2018″ – The Economist Magazine!
- 23 Sept 2017, Rosh Hashanah: Signs in the Heavens, Woman Clothed with the Sun, Moon Under Her Feet And a Crown of 12 Stars on Her Head ! Red Dragon of Revelation?!
- Current Membership List of The Illuminati "Committee of 300"!
- The Ark of the Covenant Found in Jerusalem? Buried in Golgotha Below Where Christ was Crucified?
- The History of the Illuminati ! The 13 Satanic Bloodlines!
- Six Jewish Companies Control 96% of the World’s Media!
- George Soros Interview Where He Admitted He Was A Nazi Collaborator
Site infoSocio-Economics History Blog
Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.