- Ferguson is spot on. However, he is too sanguine on America’s debt in my opinion. Printing more money out of thin air, Quantitative Easing, means debasement of the USD. The amount of new debt issue: $2.oT for this year can only mean the end of the USD.
The world debt overhang is threatening the world recovery, because markets will realize at some point how risky it is and the yields on bonds will increase, Niall Ferguson, professor of history at Harvard University, told CNBC Thursday.
“I think we have a situation where Greece is leading the pack but other countries will follow,” Ferguson told “Squawk Box Europe.” The spread on 10-year Greek bond yields over the German Bunds, a measure of how risky markets see the country’s debt, surged to a its highest level since Greece adopted the euro on Wednesday. Greece’s debt is forecast to balloon to more than 120 percent of gross domestic product this year.
Very few countries were able to cope with debt of over 100 percent of GDP in the past, and “the classic question is whether or not you default or try to inflate it away,” Ferguson said. The United States is in control of its currency and can print more to reduce its debt, but Greece and other countries in the euro cannot do this, therefore the cost of their debt will rise, he predicted. This, in turn, will weigh on economic growth around the world, Ferguson added.
- Couldn’t say it better myself. There is a formidable bubble building in fiat currencies. It will end in grief for the world. ZeroHedge writes:
Brace yourself for the impending gold shortage. Gold shortage? Yup. With the launch of a flurry of ETF’s devoted to the barbaric relic recently, total ETF holdings have soared well past 60 million ounces worth $65 billion, more than total world production in 2009. The grand Daddy of them all, the SPDR Gold Shares (GLD), now has a staggering $42.7 billion of the yellow metal, making it the second largest ETF by market capitalization, and the fifth largest gold owner in the world.
When gold suffered a hair raising $150, 12% pull back from the all time high in December, I was deluged by traders asking if this was the peak, if it was the final blow off top, and if gold is finished as an asset class. My answers were no, never, and not on your life.
A tidal wave of fiat paper currencies is now flooding the world financial system at an increasingly alarming rate. Obama has not suddenly become a paragon of fiscal restraint. Bernanke has not morphed into a tightwad. When I pull a dollar bill out of my wallet, it’s as limp as ever.
In 2008, South Africa suffered its steepest decline in gold production since 1901, falling 14%, to a mere 232 tons. It now ranks only third in global production of the yellow metal, after China and the US. Severe electricity rationing, a shortage of skilled workers, and more stringent mine safety regulations have been blamed. Choked off credit has frozen the development of new capital intensive deep mines, as it has for everybody else. Rising production costs have driven the global breakeven cost of new gold production up to $500 an ounce.
In the meantime, the financial crisis has driven flight to safety demand for gold bars and coins to all time highs. Last year, the US Treasury ran out of one ounce $50 American Gold Eagle coins, now worth about $1,150. Competitive devaluations by almost every central bank, except Japan, mean that currencies are not performing as the hedge that many had hoped, especially the Euro.
It all has the makings of a serious gold shortage for the future. The huge growth of the middle class will impact gold prices, as it has with other commodities. Linear growth in supply will get overwhelmed by a Malthusian, exponential growth in demand. Last year’s downturn is looking increasingly like a mere blip in the eight year bull market.
If you forgot to buy gold at $35, $300, or $800, another entry point is setting up for those who, so far, have missed the gravy train. We could be seeing a replay of 2008-2009, where the yellow metal traded in a sideways range for many months before blasting through to a new all time high and quickly tacking on 25%. Start scaling in around $1,040. That’s where the Reserve Bank of India started the recent love fest for the barbaric relic with its 200 ton purchase in November.
If the institutional world devotes just 5% of their asset to a weighting to the yellow metal, and an emerging market central bank bidding war for gold reserves continues, it has to fly to at least $2,300, the inflation adjusted all time high, or higher.
ETF players can look at the 1X (GLD) or the 2X leveraged gold (DGP). Stock investors can entertain shares in Barrack Gold, the world’s largest gold producer. I would also be using the current bout of weakness to pick up the high beta, more volatile precious metal silver (SLV) and platinum (PPLT), which have their own long term fundamentals working in their favor.
The Power of Nightmares! The Rise of the Politics of Fear! Historian Howard Zinn: “Largest Lie” is the “U.S. War on Terrorism”
- This is a very good documentary by the BBC on the rise of the Neo-Conservatives in America and the rise of militant Islāmic Jihad. The lies of the NeoCons are exposed. They have been inventing enemies and creating mythological intelligence reports since the Cold War. The people behind the current fake War on Terror are the same people behind the fake Cold War. Al Qaeda does not exist! It is a phantom creation of these war mongers! Sherwood Ross writes:
The “largest lie,” wrote historian Howard Zinn who died yesterday at age 87, is that “everything the United States does is to be pardoned because we are engaged in a ‘war on terrorism.’”
“This ignores the fact that war is itself terrorism, that the barging into people’s homes and taking away family members and subjecting them to torture, that is terrorism, that invading and bombing other countries does not give us more security but less security.”
In an article published previously in “The Long Term View” magazine of the Massachusetts School of Law, Zinn said that in the Fallujah area of Iraq Knight Ridder reporters found there was no Ba’athist or Sunni conspiracy against the U.S., “only people ready to fight because their relatives had been hurt or killed, or they themselves had been humiliated by home searches and road stops.”
Zinn, popularly known as the people’s historian, pointed out that the U.S. may have liberated Iraq from the tyranny of Saddam Hussein but afterwards it became Iraq’s occupier. He noted this is the same fate that befell Cuba after the U.S. liberated it from Spain in 1898. In both nations, the U.S. established military bases and U.S. corporations moved in to profit from the upheaval.
Zinn recalled the words of then Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld before the NATO ministers in Brussels in June, 2002, “the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence” of weapons of mass destruction. “That explains why this government, not knowing exactly where to find the criminals of September 11, will just go ahead and invade and bomb Afghanistan, killing thousands of people, driving hundreds of thousands from their homes, and still not know where the criminals are,” Zinn wrote.
“This explains why the government, not really knowing what weapons Saddam Hussein is hiding, will invade and bomb Iraq, to the horror of most of the world, killing thousands of civilians and soldiers and terrorizing the population,” he continued.
The historian pointed out that even if the U.S. experienced few battle casualties in its invasion of Iraq, casualties would mount afterwards in the occupying army from sickness and trauma, which took a high toll both in Viet Nam and after the Gulf War. In the 10 years after the Gulf War, 8,000 veterans died and 200,000 veterans filed complaints about illnesses incurred “from the weapons our government used in the war.”
Zinn predicted accurately that once the American public realized President Bush had lied to them about Iraq they would turn against the government. “When it loses its legitimacy in the eyes of its people, its days are numbered,” he said of the Bush administration.
Writing of his personal feelings, Zinn said, “I wake up in the morning, read the newspaper, and feel that we are an occupied country, that some alien group has taken over… I wake up thinking this country is in the grip of a President (George W. Bush) who was not elected, who has surrounded himself with thugs in suits who care nothing about human life abroad or here, who care nothing about freedom abroad or here, who care nothing about what happens to the earth, the water, the air. And I wonder what kind of world our children and grandchildren will inherit.”
Zinn called on his readers “to engage in whatever nonviolent actions appeal to us. There is no act too small, no act too bold. The history of social change is the history of millions of actions, small and large, coming together at critical points to create a power that governments cannot suppress. We find ourselves today at one of those critical points.”
“A lot of people think that the president of the New York Fed works for the U.S. government. But in fact you work for the private banks that elected you.”
” … when unelected and unaccountable agencies pick banking winners while trying to end-run Congress, even as taxpayers are forced to lend, spend and guarantee about $8 trillion to prop up the financial system, our collective blood should boil.”
- The Illuminati controls most central banks (particularly the west’s) of the world. These central banks are private corporations owned by Illuminati Satanic bloodline. They control the printing of fiat currencies. The Federal Reserve is neither federal nor has any reserves. It is a private company working for the benefit of this secret cabal. The FedRes owns the US government and practically all western governments are owned by the Illuminati. Yes, there are good people like Ron Paul and Kucinich who fights them. But they are largely marginalized. Bloomberg reports:
Jan. 29 (Bloomberg) — The idea of secret banking cabals that control the country and global economy are a given among conspiracy theorists who stockpile ammo, bottled water and peanut butter. After this week’s congressional hearing into the bailout of American International Group Inc., you have to wonder if those folks are crazy after all.
Wednesday’s hearing described a secretive group deploying billions of dollars to favored banks, operating with little oversight by the public or elected officials. We’re talking about the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, whose role as the most influential part of the federal-reserve system — apart from the matter of AIG’s bailout — deserves further congressional scrutiny.
The New York Fed is in the hot seat for its decision in November 2008 to buy out, for about $30 billion, insurance contracts AIG sold on toxic debt securities to banks, including Goldman Sachs Group Inc., Merrill Lynch & Co., Societe Generale and Deutsche Bank AG, among others. That decision, critics say, amounted to a back-door bailout for the banks, which received 100 cents on the dollar for contracts that would have been worth far less had AIG been allowed to fail.
That move came a few weeks after the Federal Reserve and Treasury Department propped up AIG in the wake of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.’s own mid-September bankruptcy filing.
Saving the System
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner was head of the New York Fed at the time of the AIG moves. He maintained during Wednesday’s hearing that the New York bank had to buy the insurance contracts, known as credit default swaps, to keep AIG from failing, which would have threatened the financial system.
The hearing before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform also focused on what many in Congress believe was the New York Fed’s subsequent attempt to cover up buyout details and who benefited.
By pursuing this line of inquiry, the hearing revealed some of the inner workings of the New York Fed and the outsized role it plays in banking. This insight is especially valuable given that the New York Fed is a quasi-governmental institution that isn’t subject to citizen intrusions such as freedom of information requests, unlike the Federal Reserve.
This impenetrability comes in handy since the bank is the preferred vehicle for many of the Fed’s bailout programs. It’s as though the New York Fed was a black-ops outfit for the nation’s central bank.
The New York Fed is one of 12 Federal Reserve Banks that operate under the supervision of the Federal Reserve’s board of governors, chaired by Ben Bernanke. Member-bank presidents are appointed by nine-member boards, who themselves are appointed largely by other bankers.
As Representative Marcy Kaptur told Geithner at the hearing: “A lot of people think that the president of the New York Fed works for the U.S. government. But in fact you work for the private banks that elected you.” And yet the New York Fed played an integral role in the government’s bailout of banks, often receiving surprisingly free rein to act as it saw fit.
Consider AIG. Let’s take Geithner at his word that a failure to resolve the insurer’s default swaps would have led to financial Armageddon. Given the stakes, you might think Geithner would have coordinated actions with then-Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. Yet Paulson testified that he wasn’t in the loop. “I had no involvement at all, in the payment to the counterparties, no involvement whatsoever,” Paulson said.
Fed Chairman Bernanke also wasn’t involved. In a written response to questions from Representative Darrell Issa, Bernanke said he “was not directly involved in the negotiations” with AIG’s counterparty banks. You have to wonder then who really was in charge of our nation’s financial future if AIG posed as grave a threat as Geithner claimed.
Questions about the New York Fed’s accountability grew after Geithner on Nov. 24, 2008, was named by then-President- elect Barack Obama to be Treasury Secretary. Geither said he recused himself from the bank’s day-to-day activities, even though he never actually signed a formal letter of recusal. That left issues related to disclosures about the deal in the hands of the bank’s lawyers and staff, rather than a top executive. Those staffers didn’t want details of the swaps purchase to become public.
New York Fed staff and outside lawyers from Davis Polk & Wardell edited AIG communications to investors and intervened with the Securities and Exchange Commission to shield details about the buyout transactions, according to a report by Issa. That the New York Fed, a quasi-governmental body, was able to push around the SEC, an executive-branch agency, deserves a congressional hearing all by itself.
Later, when it became clear information would be disclosed, New York Fed legal group staffer James Bergin e-mailed colleagues saying: “I have to think this train is probably going to leave the station soon and we need to focus our efforts on explaining the story as best we can. There were too many people involved in the deals — too many counterparties, too many lawyers and advisors, too many people from AIG — to keep a determined Congress from the information.”
Think of the enormity of that statement. A staffer at a body with little public accountability and that exists to serve bankers is lamenting the inability to keep Congress in the dark. This belies the culture of secrecy obviously pervasive within the New York Fed. Committee Chairman Edolphus Towns noted during the hearing that the bank initially refused to disclose even the names of other banks that benefited from its actions, arguing this information would somehow harm AIG.
‘Penchant for Secrecy’
“In fact, when the information was finally released, under pressure from Congress, nothing happened,” Towns said. “It had absolutely no effect on AIG’s business or financial condition. But it did have an effect on the credibility of the Federal Reserve, and it called into question the Fed’s penchant for secrecy.”
Now, I’m not saying Congress should be meddling in interest-rate decisions, or micro-managing bank regulation. Nor do I think we should all don tin-foil hats and start ranting about the Trilateral Commission. Yet when unelected and unaccountable agencies pick banking winners while trying to end-run Congress, even as taxpayers are forced to lend, spend and guarantee about $8 trillion to prop up the financial system, our collective blood should boil.
- The Illuminati Satanic cabal exist. Those of us who have been saying so, conspiracy theorist, are not loonies. This world is ruled by a Satanic cabal. Jim Cramer is wrong! The Illuminati is evil! The fact that it is coming out in the MSM tells you that these people are no longer concerned about secrecy. They think that their plans are too far along for the sheeple to do anything about. You will gradually but in increasing intensity hear about them and their blasphemous doctrine: ‘Lucifer is light’ . Luciferianism is on the rise.
- Subtlety is their method. Jim Cramer in reference to the scandal about Geithner & AIG he states :
“You know what, the Bavarian Illuminati, the Trilateral Commission, Goldman Sachs, & The Queen of England are not all bad!”
- Interview of Lindsey Williams on 27 Jan 2010. Key points:
- No shortage of food but prices will rise astronomically.
- Dollar devaluation of 30%-50% within 12 months.
- Oil price will rise correspondingly.
- Dubai World/City update
- Hard asset like gold and silver are what the élite believe in, not paper currencies.
- Derivatives collapse can cause a global banking crisis at any moment.
- There will be no war with Iran for next 1 – 1.5 years. But war is planned with Iran. Israel will start it.
- Health bill is a total government take over. It is about RFID microchipping, asset take over……
- and many more….
- See also:
Lindsey Williams: A Satanic Cabal Rule the World!
Lindsey Williams: Economic Warfare Declared on Americans by The Illuminati Elite!!
Lindsey Williams: 2 Years Timeline for Total Destruction of America! War After 2 Years!
Lindsey Williams: Within 2 Years You Will Not Recognize America! Dollar Will Die by 2012! Gold and Silver are All You Can Rely On! War is Planned! The Devil’s Messiah Within 2 Years??
Holes In Heaven: HAARP and Advances in Tesla Technology ! Mind Control, Weather Modification and Warfare!
- Great documentary by Paranormal TV. It explains the science and history behind HAARP. See also:
HR 2995 Weather Modification Research ….. Act of 2005! United Nations 1976 Convention on the Prohibition of Military or Any Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques !
HAARP Has Deleted Its Records From 2010-1-11.
Russian Navy: The U.S. Created The Earthquake In Haiti!
Flashback 2003: HAARP Poses Global Threat !
A Few Weather Modification Radar Signatures!
Lt. Col. Tom Bearden: Weather Modification & Energy Weapons ! The Science Behind It!
Weather Modification Radar Signatures
FlashBack: Professor Chossudovsky on Weather Warfare!
Haiti Killer Quake Caused By Scalar Weapon !
Chavez: US Weapon Test Caused Haiti Earthquake !
HAARP: The Earthquake Weapon? Weather Modification Using HAARP.
The Militarization of Emergency Aid to Haiti: Is it a Humanitarian Operation or an Invasion?
Nick Begich: Mind Control – The Rise of Invasive and Oppressive Technology!
Jesse Ventura: HAARP – Weather Modification, Military Defence and Mind Control!
Military Use of Mind Control Weapons
Nick Begich: HAARP, Weather Control and Mind Control
Mind Control: The Ultimate Brave New World by Dr. Nick Begich
Weather Warfare Weapons – Part 1
Weather Warfare Weapons – Part 2
- Gilad Atzmon is correct. I oppose the genocidal policies of the Zionist state of Israel. Ethnic cleansing is not acceptable whether of the Jews or Palestinians. It will never be acceptable. The Zionist state of Israel lies, in trying to equate all criticism to its behavior as anti-semitic. The truth is: many Jews oppose the state of Israel. The way the Zionist state of Israel unites Jews is by propagating the message of fear and hate. ‘Be afraid: there are many anti-Semite out there who wants to kill Jews. Let us kill them before they kill us!‘ The Zionist state uses the memory of the Holocaust to programme their youths into believing a perpetual siege against the Jewish people. It is just a blatant form of brain washing and mind control.
- This is just standard Illuminati practice of controlling the masses. The PTB also propagates hatred for the Jews. The usual: Jews are responsible for all the wars, they are Mammon worshippers, they are out to rule the world… total crap! The technique is fear and hatred, to divide and conquer and to get Jews to kill Gentiles and vice versa. The fact of the matter is: you will find evil people and good people in any race, country or religion. However, the sheeple: Jews and Gentiles both, frequently fall into this trap. And commit heinous crimes. Never be manipulated by a philosophy of fear and hatred towards our fellow-man.
The Holocaust Backfires
”Ynet reports:” Peres in Berlin, Netanyahu in Auschwitz, Lieberman in Budapest and Edelstein at the UN headquarters in New York all plan to attack the Goldstone report into the Gaza war on International Holocaust Day this Wednesday.
Israel’s political echelon will once again try to divert attention from the fact that the Israeli crime is beyond comparison. Israeli Propaganda Minister Edelstein told Ynet before leaving for New York. “The connection between the Goldstone Report and the international Holocaust memorial day is not an easy thing”. He is indeed correct. The true interpretation of the Goldstone report is that Israelis are the Nazis of our time. “We must learn the lessons from what happened” Says Edelstein, “then too, those who yelled out were told that Hitler is a clown and that all the gloomy predictions of the 1930s were nonsense.”
Someone should advise the Israeli Propaganda man that by now no one regards mass murderer Barak, Nuclear enthusiast Peres, warmonger Livni or ultra racist Lieberman as clowns. We respect them for what they are. Yet, we prefer to see them locked behind bars.
In fact, those world leaders around the world who bowed to Jewish pressure and made the Holocaust into an international memorial day must have been convinced that the Holocaust carries a universal message against oppression and racism. They were actually correct, if the holocaust has any universal and ethical meaning, stopping the ‘Jews only state’ and bringing its criminal political and military leaders to justice is the true interpretation of the lesson of the Holocaust.
Propaganda Minister Edelstein added “on the Holocaust memorial day of all days, which also marks the battle against global anti-Semitism, we must discuss this connection, because today the soldiers of the Israel Defense Forces are accused of harvesting organs and murdering children”. The Israelis better internalise that the truth of Israeli brutality is now common knowledge. IDF mass murder of children, elders and women is part of our collective memory. The Israeli institutional involvement in organ harvesting is also well documented and an accepted fact.
Minister Edelstein is wrong when he argues that “After World War II and the establishment of the State of Israel, anti-Semitism is not directed at Jews but at Israel and the Israelis. The Goldstone Report, the publications in Sweden about organ harvesting and similar reports, are simply a type of anti-Semitism.” Edelstein is wrong because all the accusations against Israel are well grounded. Furthermore, the opposition to Israel, its Jewish lobbies and Jewish power in general is politically orientated rather than racially motivated.
In the wake of the ‘International Holocaust Memorial Day’ I will say it loudly and openly. To oppose the Jewish state and Jewish nationalism is the true meaning of the memory of the Holocaust. To say NO to Israel is to say NO to racism. This is what ethics and universalism are all about.
- Mr Embry gives sound advice. There are quite a few people talking gold down recently. Chief among them is George Soros: ‘gold is now the ultimate bubble’. These people are just talking the price down so that they can acquire gold more cheaply. The ultimate bubble is in fiat currencies. They are just pieces of paper with no backing. It is the ultimate confidence game: con-job! The masses are still being deceived. However, once the global monetary crisis starts, they will understand the meaning of hard asset like gold!
- America tax revenues for 2010 is likely to be under $2.0T. So, wars are amounting to half of tax revenues. Why is the Nobel Peace prize winner Obama promoting more wars? Never believe what the snakes in DC say, observe what they do. Their plan is to turn America into a militarized state much like Nazi Germany was and goto war. America is fighting wars all over the world. The next move by the PTB, shadow government run by Illuminati banksters, is world war. This will likely involve: the greater middle east war triggered by an attack on Iran, the America-India-China-Pakistan war, possibly a Southeast Asia war to remake Myanmar, Cambodia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam… wars without end has been planned.
- The philosophy behind this Satanic cabal is the Hegelian dialectic: thesis, anti-thesis and synthesis. Order out of Chaos, problem, reaction and solution. Conflicts are created intentionally. Enormous amount of money is then made out of management of these conflicts. The intention is not to stop wars and pursue peace. Much rather: it is to create wars and make alot of money out of death.
- Finally, when both sides fight to the exhaustion/death (ie no more money to be made) offer up their pre-planned solution. It is far easier to offer up their ‘messiah’ when people are sick of wars, billions of sheeple have been culled and the survivors are willing to be enslaved for peace. We are entering this period of intense wars just before the Anti-Christ, fake messiah comes:
Revelation 6:1-2 (emphasis mine)
1 Now I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals;[a] and I heard one of the four living creatures saying with a voice like thunder, “Come and see.” 2 And I looked, and behold, a white horse. He who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him, and he went out conquering and to conquer. (Note: bow but no arrows ie conquering the world using peace)
- This man of sin will eventually show his true colors after 3 1/2 years. He will be the ultimate man of war, a violent blasphemer and the son of Satan. (emphasis mine)
Revelation 13:4 (New King James Version)
4 So they worshiped the dragon who gave authority to the beast; and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast? Who is able to make war with him?”
Daniel 11:36-39 (New King James Version)
36 “Then the king shall do according to his own will: he shall exalt and magnify himself above every god, shall speak blasphemies against the God of gods, and shall prosper till the wrath has been accomplished; for what has been determined shall be done. 37 He shall regard neither the God[a] of his fathers nor the desire of women, nor regard any god; for he shall exalt himself above them all. 38 But in their place he shall honor a god of fortresses; and a god which his fathers did not know he shall honor with gold and silver, with precious stones and pleasant things. 39 Thus he shall act against the strongest fortresses with a foreign god, which he shall acknowledge, and advance its glory; and he shall cause them to rule over many, and divide the land for gain.
- AntiWar.com reports:
The Congressional Budget Office’s newly released budget outlook notes that Congress has approved over $1 trillion in direct spending on wars and war-related activities since 2001, and that price tag is only getting higher as the wars drag on.
The spending was divided between $708 billion for the Iraq War, $345 billion for the Afghan War, and $22 billion for assorted other war activities in other countries. The Obama Administration’s repeated projections of a lower budget output for wars in coming years aside, they show no sign of slowing.
The estimated price tag only includes direct costs incurred as a result of the US occupations of those nations, and does not include the trillions of other dollars spent on the military since 2001. Nor does it include the overall cost of the war to the American economy, a figure economists put at several trillion dollars years ago, and which has only risen as the US presence overseas continues to grow.
The US currently has over 100,000 troops in Iraq, and the escalation in Afghanistan will soon have America’s commitment there near 100,000 as well. The Obama Administration has projected cuts to the Iraq force since taking office, but recent bombings have raised serious doubts about America’s ability to withdraw from the nation, years after both parties agreed that the war was successfully “won.” Troop numbers in Afghanistan will likely continue to rise for the forseeable future.
- Greece is going under. I doubt the EU will bail them out. The EU is afraid it will set a precedent. There are quite a few countries who will need bailing out: PIIGS (Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain). I doubt it is just these. When one country defaults, it will trigger debt defaults in the rest also. Eastern Europe is also not looking pretty. But their economy is so much smaller compared to the Eurozone, so it is less of a worry. There does not seem to be any way out of this coming financial collapse, banking system meltdown and monetary crisis.
- Anyone who thinks America is in better shape than the Eurozone is deceiving themselves. A default by America will mean an immediate global crisis. As much as 62% of world reserves is held as USD denominated assets ie: straight USD or treasury bonds. Helicopter Ben and the snakes in DC will opt for hyper-inflation, printing massive amount of money out of thin air, to get out of debt. This is in effect a stealth default.
- The recent take down of gold and silver by the gold cartel is making precious metals look rather cheap. It is time to accumulate and ignore the volatility! The Telegraph UK reports on Greece:
Germany has triggered a near-panic flight from southern European debt markets by warning that there will be no EU bail-outs, even though it fears the region’s economic crisis has turned dangerous and could prove “fatal” for the entire eurozone.
The yield on 10-year Greek bonds blasted upwards by over 40 basis points to 7.15pc in a day of wild trading. Spreads over German Bunds reached almost four percentage points, by far the highest since Greece joined the euro, and close to levels that risk a self-feeding spiral. Contagion hit Portuguese, Spanish, Irish, and Italian bonds.
George Papandreou, the Greek premier, said in Davos that his country had been singled out as the weak link in a “attack on the eurozone” by speculators and political foes. “We are being targeted, particularly by those with an ulterior motive.”
Marc Ostwald, from Monument Securities, said the botched syndication of €8bn (£6.9bn) of Greek debt earlier this week has made matters worse. Many of the investors were “hot money” funds that bought on rumours that China was emerging as a buyer, offering them a chance for quick profit. When the China story was denied by Beijing and Athens, these funds rushed for the exit. However, a key trigger yesterday was testimony in Germany’s parliament by economy minister Rainer Brüderle, who said there would be “no bail-outs” for struggling debtors and no move to a “European economic government”.
“A few European nations are exhibiting dangerous weaknesses. That could have fatal consequences for all countries in the eurozone,” he said. Despite the warning, he said each country must solve its own problems. “Germany is not in a mood to be the deep pocket for what they consider profligate, southern neighbours,” said hedge fund doyen George Soros.
Mr Brüderle’s hard line contradicts a report in Le Monde that Franco-German officials are discussing a rescue for Greece in order to keep the International Monetary Fund at bay. The paper cited a source saying that EMU partners were ready to “help” Greece. “It is a question of credibility for the eurozone. The IMF might want to impose monetary conditions.”
Le Monde‘s story was shot down by Berlin and Paris, but there is little doubt that certain officials have been trying to build momentum for a rescue. It is clear that the EU family is split on the issue. Jean-Claude Juncker, head of the Eurogroup of finance ministers, backs “assistance”, with support of EU integrationists hoping to nudge the EU towards full fiscal union. This is fiercely opposed by Berlin, and the German-led bloc at the European Central Bank. There are reports that Berlin is deliberately bringing the crisis to a head, hoping to lance the boil early and force the Club Med states to reform before it is too late. If so, this is a risky strategy. German banks have huge exposure to Greek, Spanish, and Portuguese debt.
Hans Redeker, currency chief at BNP Paribas, said Greece will face “great trouble” if it has to pay 7pc rates for long. Athens must raise €53bn this year, mostly in the first half. It has a been relying on cheap short-term debt to fund the budget deficit of 13pc of GDP, but this raises “roll-over risk”. Tim Congdon, from International Monetary Research, said the danger is that wealthy Greeks may shift money to bank accounts abroad if they lose confidence (akin to Mexico’s Tequila Crisis in 1994-1995). This would set off a banking crisis and become self-fulfilling.
Greece has been financing current account deficits – 15pc of GDP in 2008 – through its banks, which have built up €110bn foreign liabilities. “If foreign creditors want their money back, defaults and/or a macroeconomic catastrophe appear inevitable,” Mr Congdon said. Adding to worries, Moody’s has issued an alert on Portugal’s “adverse debt dynamics”, saying Lisbon needs a “credible plan” to reduce a structural deficit stuck at 7pc of GDP rather than “one-off measures”.
The deeper concern is Spain, where youth unemployment has reached 44pc and the housing bust has a long way to run. Nouriel Roubini – the economist known as ‘Dr Doom’ – said Spain is too big to contain. “If Greece goes under that’s a problem for the eurozone. If Spain goes under it’s a disaster,” he said. Jose Luis Zapatero, Spain’s premier, replied wearily: “Spanish public debt (52pc of GDP) is 20pc lower than Europe’s average; our treasury spends 5pc of revenues on debt costs, less than France and Germany. Nobody is going to leave the euro,” he said.
- Wars are mostly fought using deception. False flag terrorism has been used as a pretext for war since the Roman times. Here is the actual 1962 Northwoods document. Never send your children to fight all these wars in: Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen ie overseas. It is really about the control of the world drug trade (what do you think Vietnam was about?), oil (Spratly islands off Vietnam has lots of it) and positioning to fight China and Russia. Whoever controls oil rules the world. What is Haiti about? See also:
Confessions of an Economic Hit Man – John Perkins
History of The New American Century
Major General Smedley Butler – War is a Racket !
America: From Freedom to Fascism
America – Why do We Fight ?
The Plot to Overthrow Franklin D. Roosevelt
Evidence Mounts for US Complicity in Terrorism
Fake Al Qaeda Actors EXPOSED! Adam Gadahn & Yousef al-Khattab.
June 8, 1967: USS Liberty Attacked By Israel In International Waters
Dead In The Water – The Sinking of the USS Liberty